Pages

"There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million." -Walter Streightiff

Saturday, May 5, 2018

Adventures in Outer Space

We blasted off into outer space! A control panel helped guide the rocket ship and helped us get where we needed to go. Flashlights, earphones and walkie talkies added to our dramatization.
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1...




































Blastoff!
We even had space helmets and protective gear to wear when we explored the places we landed. 






We had a variety of manipulatives for exploring- moon rocks, aliens, spaceships, astronauts, rockets, asteroids, meteors and more!


After reading Roaring Rockets,   

 we used collage materials and shapes to create roaring rockets of our own. 












 






"Twinkle, twinkle little star"...
We sang the song, read a book by the same name


"Starlight, star bright, 
First star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might, 
Have the wish I wish tonight."
We recited this poem and talked about what we would wish for on the first star...







Using flashlights, we made "stars" dance on the ceiling of the darkened room.



We read, Laura's Star
 
 and then made nighttime pictures using white paint mixed with glue, star shapes like cookie cutters and sponges. We printed star shapes onto black paper. They look like the nighttime sky with twinkling stars!


















How to Catch a Star 
Image result for how to catch a star
got us to thinking... Both of the kids in our books were able to befriend a beautiful, twinkling star. Was it possible? The boy in the book tried many different ways. These are our ideas-




After reading Berenstain Bears on the Moon, by Stan and Jan Berenstain, 
and Moon Boy,
we decided the moon would be a great place to visit.
We sang, "What will I Take to the Moon?". 
We each had to decide what we would take if we went to the moon.

What will I take to the moon?
What will I take to the moon?
The rocket is small, I can't take it all.
Better hurry up cause we're leaving soon.
What will I take to the moon?

I'm gonna take  my_____________________.
Gonna take my __________________ to the moon.
The rocket is small, I can't take it all.
Better hurry up cause we're leaving soon.
What will I take to the moon? 
We blasted off in our rocket ship and landed on the moon where we had to jump, walk, crawl and slide. It was like an obstacle course on the moon!





















































































We talked about the surface of the moon and the craters. How did they form? We did an experiment to find out. Our moon surface was a cake pan of smoothed out flour. 
We took turns standing on a stool and dropping asteroids and meteors (marbles) onto the surface of the moon. 








The surface changed quite a bit after being hit with meteors and asteroids! There were huge craters on the surface...
There's No Place Like Space by Tish Rabe 
had us jumping on planets as we named them, from the ones closest to the sun to the ones farthest away in a game of "Planet Hopscotch". We said their names as we jumped on them...












We used big and little marbles and golf balls to create our own planets. We dipped them in paint and dropped them in a cake pan lined with paper. We tipped the pan to make the marbles and balls move around, swirling around the paint as they went.











We loved the results! We picked names for our planets and told a little bit about them. 
My planet is named Johnnis.
An alien lives there.
A BIG alien.
He is orange.
It’s really high in the sky.

 My planet is Earth. 
We live on Planet Earth.
 My planet is "the one with the rings".
My mom and dad live there,
'cause I'm at school; 
and my pops and my cat and my Paul.
My planet is named "My Sister".  
Nobody lives on my planet.
It's too far away.
 My planet is named Wars. 
It has rings.
Aliens and some people live there.
Wild craziness is going on there.
All the people have to take care of it.
It is very far away. 
Very, very, very far away.
Hush Little Alien by Daniel Kirk 
was the springboard for our play dough fun. We had colors made special for creating aliens. Pipe cleaners, eyes, straws, buttons and a variety of other materials were added to enhance our play experience.
















No comments:

Post a Comment