Pages

"There are no seven wonders of the world in the eyes of a child. There are seven million." -Walter Streightiff

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Color, Light and Shadows

We had all kinds of materials in which to explore color, light and shadows including mirrors, flashlights, color paddles and a lightbox.
After reading Bear Shadow 
and talking about what makes a shadow, we went on a shadow walk. 
Mixing colors was one of our favorite activities of the week. We discovered how to make new colors by mixing primary colors. 
Silhouettes are shadows of our profiles. We sat on a chair to make a shadow on the wall. Our shadows were traced to make a silhouette.

They turned out great!
We had fun experimenting with colored water beads. We sorted, poured, scooped and of course, spilled them:) Their fluorescent colors gleamed in the sunshine.  
Ten Grouchy Groundhogs was our favorite book of the week. 
After we read it, we sang and acted out our groundhog song as we crawled in and out of our tunnels:
I'm a little groundhog in my mound,
On February 2nd I come up from the ground.
If I see my shadow it scares me
Back in my mound I go to sleep.
If I don't see my shadow
Springtime's here! 
Hip hip hooray, we shout and cheer!

We didn't see our shadows today because the sun wasn't out... we'll see what happens on February 2nd! 
Happy Groundhogs Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment